Kid Friendly Tuna Casserole
Works great for kids or folks who don’t care for peas
- Approximately ½ package of medium egg noodles, cooked and drained
- 1 can of light tuna in water, well drained
- 2 cans of cream of mushroom or cream of celery soup
- 1 can of milk
- 1 11 oz can of whole kernel corn -OR- 8 oz of frozen corn (doesn’t need to be thawed)
- Crushed potato chips
- While the noodles are cooking, crush enough potato chips (plain corn flakes will work in a pinch) to top the casserole. Make sure the chips are coarsely crushed and not crumbs when you are done.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients and mix well. You may add a little salt and pepper to your taste, but the canned soup will provide plenty of sodium.
- Pour mixture into a large baking dish or casserole. Top with a thin layer of potato chips so that all the casserole is covered.
- Bake in a 350-degree oven for 40 to 50 minutes, or until bubbles come through the chips. Serve with rolls/bread and a tossed salad with plenty of cold milk.
- The potato chip topping adds a little zest while keeping the top noodles from drying out and getting hard while baking. Using two cans of soup with one can of milk makes for a nice, creamy texture that is very palatable to children.
Broiled Tilapia with Lemon Caper Sauce (Serves: 4, Prep: 5 min., Cook: 10 min.)
- 1-1/2 lbs. tilapia
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup Italian salad dressing
- 2 Tbsp. capers
- 1 Tsp. parsley, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- Place tilapia on broiler pan and brush with olive oil. Broil fish until thoroughly cooked.
- While fish is cooking, mix Italian dressing, lemon juice, capers and parsley together to make caper sauce.
- Place fish on plates, drizzle each fish fillet with sauce and serve.
Deb’s Easy Tuna Melts (Serves 4)
- 4 toasted English muffin halves
- 1 can tuna in water, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1/4-cup mayonnaise
- Salt and pepper as desired
- 8 very thin slices tomato
- 8 slices cheese of your choice (Jack, American, White, or Cheddar)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Lightly toast the muffins
- Line baking sheet with foil and put muffins on this
- Mix up the tuna salad
- Spoon the tuna salad onto the muffins, add sliced tomato on top
- Bake for about 8 minutes, then add cheese slice and bake for another 2 minutes.
No Meat Baked Spaghetti
- 1 package of spaghetti pasta (angel hair cooks fastest)
- 2 jars of Spaghetti sauce (you can use homemade if that is your preference)
- Grated Parmesan
- Shredded cheese (Try a mixture of mozzarella, Colby and Monterey jack cheese)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees while cooking noodles until al dente. To speed the process, go ahead and warm the spaghetti sauce in a separate pan while the noodles cook.
- When the noodles are cooked, mix with the sauce, and then fill a large casserole dish about half way.
- Put a thick layer of Parmesan cheese and the shredded cheese, then put the rest of the spaghetti on top, and cover that layer with more Parmesan and shredded cheese.
- Cover with foil and put in oven for 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted (it takes less time if the sauce was pre-heated on the stove).
Tip: Using reduced fat cheese will reduce the calories in what can easily be a high calorie meal.
Stuffed Shell Pierogies
- 3 lbs potatoes (about 8) peeled & quartered
- 8 oz shredded Cheddar cheese (2 cups)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 6 cups sliced onions (Vidalia, if you can get them)
- Butter or margarine (I use lots)
- 1 box jumbo shells, cooked until tender-firm and cooled under running cold water
- Cooks potatoes until soft, drain.
- Add cheese, salt & pepper and mash until smooth.
- Melt margarine or butter in large skillet.
- Add onions and cook 10 to 15 minutes until tender but NOT browned.
- Spread half the onions over the bottom of a 13×9 baking dish. (May take 2 pans)
- Stuff each shell with heaping TBL of the potato mixture, close edges.
- Arrange in single layer over onions, spread remaining onions on top (you can use two pans or freeze the pierogies for later use).
- Bake at 350 degrees uncovered 15 to 20 minutes or until heated through.
Pasta and Cauliflower
- 1 head cauliflower, broken into small florets
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh parsley
- Cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until al dente.
- Meanwhile, steam frozen cauliflower until tender. Alternatively, break cauliflower into florets, and steam until tender
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add onion and sauté until golden. Add garlic, and sauté until golden brown. Stir in cauliflower and seasonings.
- Drain pasta, and transfer to a large serving bowl. Toss with onion and cauliflower mixture, and top with cheese.
- 8 Oz. Mozzarella cheese
- 1 lb. Ricotta cheese
- 10 oz. frozen package spinach
- Pizza dough
- Make pizza dough and cut in half. Let it rise and roll out into 2 circles.
- Combine first 3 ingredients and spoon half of mixture in the middle of dough and fold it in half. Press to seal.
- Bake for 25 minutes at 350.
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 can (14 3/4 oz) salmon, drained
- 1-2 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Margarine or butter
- 8 – 8″ flour tortillas
- 2 cups (8oz) shredded cheese, mozzarella, cheddar, Colby, or some combination
- In a skillet sauté garlic in oil until tender.
- Stir in salmon, basil and pepper. Cook over medium heat until heated through.
- Meanwhile spread margarine or butter over one side of tortillas. Place 4 tortillas, buttered side down on a griddle.
- Take salmon mixture off heat and add cheese, stirring just to mix it together.
- Place 1/4 of salmon mixture on each tortilla then top with another, buttered side up.
- Cook on low until lightly brown, then flip over and cook that side until lightly brown.
- Cut into wedges and serve with salsa or guacamole.
Mushroom-Laced Fettuccine (Makes about main dish or 4 side dish servings.)
- 3 Tbsp margarine or butter
- 1/2 lb. sliced mushrooms
- 1 envelope Lipton Recipe Secrets Savory Herb With Garlic soup mix
- 1 1/4 C. milk
- 8 oz fettuccine, cooked & drained
- In 10 inch skillet, melt margarine or butter over medium heat & cook mushrooms, stirring occasionally, 6 min. or until tender.
- Add soup mix blended with milk. Bring to the boiling point over high heat, stirring frequently.
Terrific Tuna Roll-Ups (makes 4 servings)
- 1/4 C. reduced fat mayo or Miracle Whip
- 1 1/2 TBSP Dijon mustard
- 2 cans (6 1/4 oz each) chunk tuna, packed in water, drained
- 1/2 C. drained water chestnuts, sliced & coarsely chopped
- 1/2 C. thinly sliced green onions
- 1/3 C. chopped red bell pepper
- 4 – 8 inch flour tortillas
- 2-3 C. shredded lettuce
- Blend mayo & mustard. Stir in tuna, water chestnuts, green onion & bell pepper.
- Divide tuna mixture among tortillas, spreading to within 1 inch of the edges.
- Cover each tortilla with about 1/2 C. of lettuce. Roll each up tightly like a jellyroll.
- Cut in half diagonally & serve immediately, or cover with plastic wrap & refrigerate up to 3 hours.
Hungarian Noodle Bake (Serves 6)
- 4 ounces fine noodles
- 1/4 C finely, chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 T. butter
- 1 ½ C. cream-style cottage cheese
- 1 C. dairy sour cream
- 1 t. Worcestershire sauce
- Dash bottled hot pepper sauce (only a dash)
- 2 t. poppy seed
- Cook noodles in large amount of boiling salted water till tender. Drain.
- Cook onion and garlic in butter till tender.
- Combine noodles and onion mixture with remaining ingredients, 1/2 t. salt, and dash of pepper.
- Turn into greased 10x6x1 1/2 inch baking dish.
- Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or till hot.
- Sprinkle with paprika. Pass grated Parmesan cheese.
Broccoli Rice Casserole
- One and one-half cup instant rice
- One small jar Cheese Whiz
- One can Cream of Mushroom soup
- One head cooked broccoli tips (still firm)
- One half cup chopped celery
- One half cup chopped onion
- One cube butter cut in small pieces
- Mix all ingredients together in bowl.
- Place in baking dish.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for approximately 30 to 40 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
Cheese and Tortilla Pie
- 1/2 lb. Monterey Jack cheese, grated
- 1/2 lb Cheddar cheese, grated 1 – 24 oz. can sliced olives
- 3 or 4 chopped green onions
- 8 – 4-inch corn tortillas
- 1 1/2 cups cottage cheese
- 1/2-cup sour cream]
- 1 – 8oz can tomato sauce
- 1 – 8 oz. can green chili salsa
- Combine the grated cheeses, olives, green onions (reserve 1/4 cup of the cheese for tipping).
- Combine cottage cheese and sour cream.
- In 3 Quart casserole (greased) start layering tortilla, cottage cheese mixture, and cheeses. Repeat.
- Combine tomato sauce and chili sauce and pour over top of casserole.
- Top with remaining grated cheese. Bake covered at 350 for 40 minutes.
- 3 cups of Water
- 3 bullion cubes (optional)
- 1 can green beans
- 3-4 potatoes, cubed
- 2-3 carrots cut into bite-sized pieces
- Chopped onion–as much as you like
Bring above ingredients to a boil and then simmer until vegetables are done.
- 1 stick margarine or butter
- 1/3 cup of flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 lb. shredded cheddar cheese
- Melt butter in large skillet, whisk in flour making pastey roiux.
- Slowly add milk while whisking.
- Continue stirring with whisk until mixture thickens slightly on whisk.
- Slowly add cheddar cheese. When all the cheese is melted and mixed into milk mixture, add to soup.
- Add 1 small jar of diced pimento