Source: Northwest Regional Highway Safety Network
- Stay out of the street while waiting for the bus.
- Wear bright clothing and allow extra time to walk to the bus stop.
- Remain seated at all times while bus is moving. Keep aisles clear; stow school bags under the seat.
- Do not shout, yell, or sing; it distracts the driver. Wait until the bus comes to a complete stop before exiting.
- Avoid the DANGER ZONE. Walk 10 giant steps in front of the bus so the driver can see you clearly.
- Never retrieve anything that falls under the bus.
- Wait for the bus driver to see you or give you a signal before crossing in front of the bus. Be sure to look LEFT-RIGHT-LEFT to see that all cars have stopped.
- Use sidewalks wherever possible when walking to the bust stop or school.
- Stop at the burn and look LEFT-RIGHT-LEFT before crossing.
- Walk on the left facing traffic, if you must walk on the road.
- Always cross at the corner.
- Cross when the traffic light is red or when a pedestrian “walk” sign is lit.
- Watch out for vehicles backing out of driveways and parking spaces.
BE SAFE, BE SEEN. Look the driver in the eye to know that he sees you